by Leema Malla, MD (China)
Lentil soup is healthy, Simple and very satisfying dish. Made with the red lentil and Iron-rich Spinach which is a power house among fresh leafy greens. It’s great for lunch served with bread.
- 1 cup(split red lentil), washed
- 3/4 cup chopped spinach
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 2 to 3 black peppercorns
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp butter
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- salt to taste
- Heat the butter in a pan and sauté the onions until they’re slightly brown, add garlic and peppercorns, ground coriander, ground cumin and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the lentil, salt and 3 cups of vegetable stock and pressure cook till the lentil is tender.
- When the lentil is cool, blend to get a smooth purée.
- Add the spinach, coconut milk and bring to a boil for 20mins.
- Finish by adding the lemon juice.
- Serve hot with bread.