By Sonam Patel, BSc. HK
This comforting fall soup has a kick of heat to it that will warm you up on the chilliest of autumn days.
It can be enjoyed with a thick slice of sourdough bread, or a handful of multigrain crackers. Portion out leftovers into containers to freeze and reheat for a quick, hearty meal. This recipe can also be made in a slow cooker – combine all the ingredients on the low setting before heading to work and return home to a cozy meal and delicious aroma in your kitchen.
Chunky Chicken Vegetable Soup
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 piece fresh ginger, about 1 inch minced
- 1 jalapeno (optional), sliced
- 6 chicken thighs, bone-in skinless/skin removed
- 3 shanghai bok choy, leaves separated
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced
- 2 handfuls kale, torn
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 5 mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup cilantro, minced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Olive oil, for cooking
- Heat oil in large pot on medium heat, and add red onion, garlic, and ginger. Cook for a few minutes until onions start to turn translucent.
- Add chicken thighs, cook for 5 minutes, flip, and cook other side for 5 minutes to brown both sides.
- Remove chicken thighs from pot and set aside.
- Add zucchini, carrot, and celery to pot and cook for about 5 mins. Stir to evenly cook.
- Add mushrooms, bell pepper, kale, bok choy, and jalapeno to pot, as well as the reserved chicken. Pour broth over vegetables and increase heat to high.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer for an additional 10 – 15 mins.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, and stir in the cilantro. Enjoy!