By Melissa Lee HBSc., ND Cand.
- 1 Cup Natural Peanut Butter
- ½ Cup Honey
- 1½ tablespoon Vanilla
- 1 egg
- ¾ Cup Oats
- ¾ Cup Spelt Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Chocolate Chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. Mix the oats, flour, baking soda and salt in a bowl and set aside.
4. Mix the peanut butter, honey and vanilla together. Add one beaten egg to the mixture and stir altogether.
5. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir.
6. Add your chocolate chips according to taste.
7. Use a teaspoon to spoon out round chunks onto a cookie sheet
8. Bake for 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 12-15 minutes. Let it cool on the baking sheet and enjoy with a tea or with a glass of milk (dairy, soy, almond or rice milk!)
? Warning: this delicious cookie contains peanuts.
Benefits of Spelt Flour
Spelt flour, from the Triticum spelta plant, has been cultivated for over 5000 years and its popularity is increasing once again. With a higher protein content compared to wheat, rich source of B vitamins (niacin, thiamine, B6, folate, and pantothenic acid), rich source of minerals (iron, magnesium and phosphorus), and high fibre content, it is a “no brainer” that this grain is full of vitality. With its nutty flavour this ancient grain is a great substitute for wheat in the baking world. However, keep in mind some baking tips:
- Spelt is a heavier flour, so when baking with it you will need to increase the leavening agent you are using.
- Spelt also has less gluten so you don’t need to stir or knead (bread baking) you mixture as much or else it will break down.
- Keep this flour stored in the refrigerator.
Melissa Lee, HBSc, ND (Cand.) is currently a third year student at the Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine.