Mom’s Fish Casserole (serves 6 people)
By Nicole Basque, B.A., RMT
1 lb of fish fillets (salmon, cod, sole or other white fish)
1½ cups milk divided into 2 portions of ¾ cups
2 TBS diced onions
1 cup cooked lobster (fresh, frozen or vacuum packed)
1 cup cooked shrimp (frozen size 21-25). (If using fresh shrimp, remove shell and devein – no need to precook).
1 cup large scallops (fresh or frozen) – do not precook.
½ cup sliced mushrooms
¼ cup broccoli – use shaved top of broccoli only
3 TBS butter
¼ cup flour
¾ cup cereal cream
2 TBS lemon
Salt & pepper
2-3 TBS Sherry or white wine (optional)
2/3 cup grated cheese (mixture of cheddar, Swiss)
¼ c freshly grated parmesan
1. In a sauce pan poach fish fillets with ¾ cup of milk at medium temperature simmering until fork tender (approx 5 min): Sieve & save onions and milk.
2. Sautee mushrooms in 1 TBS butter with broccoli.
3. Place fish into casserole with mushroom & broccoli mixture. Add lobster, shrimp and scallops.
4. In a sauce pan, melt butter & flour; add salt & pepper, lemon and sherry; mix. With a whisk, slowly add ¾ cup milk, ¾ cup cream and original milk mixture (onions and milk). Keep heating and stirring just until mixture thickens. Do NOT let boil.
5. Pour on fillets and fish; add 2/3 cup grated cheese mixed with parmesan.
6. Cook at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.
NB: This recipe can be made with fish fillets only. Lobster, shrimp and scallop are all optional and quantities can be reduced according to taste. The consistency of this casserole is similar to that of a chowder.